Friday, November 14, 2014

Chronicle of Junior

Day 3: I pulled Junior out of the pen with the mares so that he could eat his grain in peace. I opted to stall him instead of leave him tied so that I could get all my chores done and not feel rushed. It was dark but Junior followed me without any hesitation. This is a horse that doesn't know me but is willing to trust and follow me.

I added some water to make his grain more of a mash and put it in front of him. He took one bit and then gave me the biggest, juiciest slobbery kiss I've ever gotten (and I've been around horses for half my life!) This is a horse that appreciates his grain. He doesn't demand it, but appreciates it!

I opted to leave him stalled for the night so that he wouldn't have to contend with the single digits above and below zero temperatures. There was no wind chill but I'd rather start stalling him no matter what. I threw in some alfalfa and a full morning and night feeding of hay to see how much he'd actually eat. The look in his eye when I first put him into his stall and then when I threw in the alfalfa is priceless. A look of not only relief but of pleasure.

Junior is a stall baby. I think he preferred to be in a stall so that he didn't have to compete with the other horses or be pushed away when they approached. I did notice that he was standing much closer to the mares yesterday evening so he's working up to being more comfortable with them. He's getting close enough now for Rabbit to pin her ears at him.

When I let him out this morning, he willingly followed me out of his stall in the dark. I thought he was going to come right at me and I put out my hand to stop him and instead of it being his shoulder, it was his head. He didn't spook or shy away. I figured that quick movement would be a setup back our trust. But he just stood there while I apologized and rubbed his head. I put him in with the mares and fed him but he had no interest in eating. He wanted to be in my pocket. He followed me with his eyes everywhere I went. He wouldnt' push on the fence but he'd get his  head over the corral panels to make it known that he wanted some of my time. Im not sure if he was asking for grain or if he wanted attention (I'm assuming grain).

But Junior trusts me after only two days. How amazing is that. I saw on a twitter feed the following saying "treat each horse like he is a gentleman" (or something to that affect). I've always tried to treat them not as an animal but as an equal. Maybe Junior sees that? It's hard to say. I'm no trainer nor do I know the thought process of a horse. I guess I try to win the old ones over with grain and then we can create a strong bond after that. So far, it's working. Keep their bellies full and they will remain your best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment